Wednesday 18 December 2013

'Tis the Season...

...To be piling on the anxiety, it seems.

I'm like it every year - every season, really, but particularly Christmas it seems, because there's so much to worry about. Gifts to buy, and to wrap, cards to write and send, and now school events to remember, attend, send cakes/money for, and friends to consider.

And as someone who dislikes crowds due to social anxiety, even popping to the shops for a pint of milk can become a little daunting. I get home and want to curl up on the kitchen floor with a cup of tea, reassuring myself that I don't have to go out again. Or I would, except that I do have to go out, because if there's one thing I can rely on at Christmas, it's that the stress of trying to be on top of things and remember everything will lead to me in fact forgetting more than usual.

So far, I have written half of my Christmas cards and posted none. And as I type this, I realise I went shopping earlier (with the Girl in tow) and despite writing "stamps" on the list, forgot to buy any. So that will be another trip out. Tomorrow, it can be tomorrow, and I'll suck up the price of a first class stamp, sighing with relief that due to a bit of travelling around, I only actually have to post three or four cards this year. Or five. Could be five. Either way, hooray for not having a lot of casual friends, eh?

I'm riding the adrenaline rush at the moment and hoping the seizures don't happen at the wrong time. I had two yesterday, and both fortuitously managed to be when my children were at school/pre-school and then asleep. I gloss over the note of fear which whispers into the back of my mind that one day, surely, the law of averages will spring one on me at a bad time. It's a chiming worry which I never listen to, apart from late on those nights when sleep eludes me, and if I were a child again I'd want to turn to the comfort of a parent to reassure me that all is well.

That's the thing about adulthood. I have to smile and reassure my children; all the while I'm fighting the urge to call my own parents and ask them the same thing. The single-parenting aspect gives me so much freedom - I went into town today straight from school and stayed there until I wanted to come home instead of rushing back, feeling as though time were ticking away - but the counter to that freedom is the anxiety that I'm an army of one. Help is on hand, but it's a hand several miles away, to be summoned by a phone I can't always use.

And for every person who helps me, I feel the nagging tug of an obligation to be repaid. A debt I owe, one which mounts with each and every favour I offer to repay in kind but never quite settle to my own satisfaction. Then looms Christmas, and I settle it on myself to repay at least a little with gifts and cards. Gifts and cards which must be bought, prepared, and given. All added stresses which I balance on my scales, adding and subtracting what I can do and what I have to let go. And for the let-gos, do I rush to catch up later, or call for help? My cycle of anxiety grows and multiplies.

Yes, 'Tis the Season. To be Merry, to be Festive, and to smile brightly, all the while I am masking wishes for it to all be over so that I can try and find some time to catch up on the things I have not done, the things I forgot, and the favours I am sure to owe in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment